Wednesday 18 April 2012

A Flash Mob of a Fruit Pie


First: I'll own up that I don't make my own pie crust.  While I still manage to walk with my head held decently high, my grandmother (who was very adept and taught me how to make it) would have been appalled at this revelation.  But some items simply aren't worth the time/energy investment when the store-bought is perfectly good, and plain pie crust is one of those things.  So - if you want to make your own, knock yourself out.  Me, I'm quite pleased with a round of the roll-out type from the market.  Plus, that allows you to throw this thing together in about five minutes, which means YOU GET PIE SOONER.  I don't see a down side to this.

Now that we've got that confession out of the way, we can get down to business...

This recipe makes a small pie, serving 3-4.  Or in my case, one.  Oh come on - I buy pie crust.  I have no shame! 

12 ounces (2 small packages) berries - I used blackberries, but raspberries, blueberries, or whatever else would work just as well (or a blend thereof)
Thickener - I use King Arthur's pie filling enhancer according to the amounts they specify
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon crème de cassis or other berry-flavoured liqueur
1/2 tablespoon butter
Milk

Heat oven to 375F.

Mix first six ingredients in a bowl until well blended.  Unroll (or for you purists, roll) pie crust round and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Mound fruit mixture in centre of dough, leaving about 2" to the edge of the crust.  Dot fruit with the butter.  Start folding the crust inward, pinching together where needed so that a sort of bowl is formed.  Brush the exposed dough with milk.  I like to sprinkle on a little coarse-grain sugar just because it looks pretty.

Bake about 45 minutes to an hour, or until crust is browned and fruit is bubbling.  Let cool.  It does need to set a bit so all the juice won't drain the minute it's cut open, so transfer it to a dinner plate and stick it in the fridge, and make a cocktail with some of that crème de cassis while you're waiting.

 
I usually make custard to accompany fruit pies and crisps, but ice cream also works - or it's great just solo too!  No need to store leftovers, as there won't be any.


1 comment: